Who is Rena Tucker?
Artist, art journaler, author, publisher, and founder of Your Creative Side Hustle, Rena loves all things creative.
Decades of navigating the myriad ups, downs, joys, pains, challenges and rewards of living the creative life have led her to the conclusion that “self expression is not for sissies.”
Rena became a professional artist at age 7 when she sold her colored pencil and ink drawings to her parents, who later paid her to produce illustrations for marketing materials and apparel. Ultimately, she became a successful portrait artist and built her reputation to the point where it was nothing unusual for her to accept a 5-figure commission.
Known for contagious enthusiasm and an irreverent sense of humor, Rena is passionate about helping people enjoy greater creative freedom while making money with their creativity. She’s also passionate about naps, chardonnay, and the color periwinkle.
- Won the Maury Brennan Ford pumpkin carving contest in 6th grade
- Earned a bachelor’s degree in Business and a minor degree in English
- Was invited to be a professional ballroom dance instructor
- Trained in Taekwondo, Aikido, boxing, kickboxing, knives, and all manner of firearms
- Trained in classic portraiture with some of the most renowned artists of our time
- Obsessed with mosaics to the point she now dreams about tile, glass, and grout lines
- Dedicated “colorist” (fancy term for a person who colors in adult coloring books)
- Is owned by Robbie the Black-Headed Caique, a feisty 5-ounce branch-hopping parrot
- Married her best friend, Jeff Tucker, on New Year’s Eve 1996
- Plays the Celtic lap harp, but sadly, not very well
Connect with Rena